[afnog2017-nme] REMINDER: AfNOG 2017 NME Survey

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Tue Jun 13 10:46:55 PDT 2017

On 6/12/17 7:47 AM, Christian Karemera wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Are you using Alvarion?
>

> Please check if:
>
> 1.       you are connected to the right base station (the one which is
> configured on your wimax )
>
> 2.       The position of the antenna is still the same
>
> 3.       There is no new bulding or any new obstacle which is between
> the antenna and the base station

A wonderful tool for checking Fresnel zones and line of sight between
locations is at:

https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/ptp

The details of antennas and radios is all based on Ubiquiti (they make
the UniFi gear) equipment, but what you can do is to specify two points,
tower height and get a great visual of line of sight. You can play with
frequencies and gains on antennas as well that you could, probably,
translate to something close to what you are using to see the Fresnel
zones as well.

I've played with a bunch of online tools for this and have not seen
anything better.

You need to register for an account here:

https://community.ubnt.com/

It's free, no licenses or serial numbers required. I had a quick look
and verified that this tool should work for Burundi.

Cheers,
	- Hervey Allen
          Network Startup Resource Center

--
Hervey Allen      Assistant Director, Network Startup Resource Center
hervey at nsrc.org   http://nsrc.org/ : http://facebook.com/nsrc.org